Thursday, September 5, 2013

A World of Wonder

the "Hickory Horned Devil"
The other day while walking from my house down to my studio, I was shocked to stumble upon this insect. Living in a rural area of Tennessee, I often encounter nature and its creatures in interesting ways, but I had never in my life seen anything like this.

What you're looking at is the Hickory Horned Devil. It was 6 inches long and fatter than my thumb. The critter reminds me of what I used to see as a child when I'd visit my grandparents in the Caribbean and snorkel around coral reefs.

Not only is the larva stage of this insect amazing to look at, it turns into the Regal Moth, which has a 6" wingspan.

Things like this are what inspire me and give me hope. We live in a world full of fun and wonder, but it's only when we take time to really look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment