Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Behind the Scenes: Summer 2012

 

This video was shot this summer after I had gone through something of a frustrating time with my work and ended up creating this piece (also seen in the blog header) called "Summer 2012." I often incorporate found objects in my art and this piece contains pages from an old autograph book -- the kind in which students would write little notes to one another such as "don't forget me over the summer."

One of the pages contained the words "I like Miss Lula" so I used that text as the central part of the work. The image that became Miss Lula (the blonde woman in blue) was from a previous project of small portraits I had done, but it captures who I think Miss Lula might have been.

The figures to the far right are depictions of woodcarvings by a Tennessee folk artist and the little dog, I carved from wine corks over the course of several days. This panel is a good example of what can be created when you allow yourself to have fun with your work. I felt like an 8-year old boy, just coming into the studio and having a blast.

I delivered this piece to Bennett Galleries in Knoxville last week where it was part of a First Friday exhibition, along with a couple other newer works I have done. If you're in Knoxville, stop in and see it. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have via this blog or my email so please feel free to get in touch. I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment